Connect with us


Unknown gunmen raid Enugu communities, kill 20 in three days



NO FEWER than 20 persons were killed when unknown gunmen invaded Agu-Amede, Mgbuji and Eboh villages in Eha-Amufu, Isi-Uzo Local Government Area of Enugu State two times in three days.

  While Agu-Amede village was raided on Saturday night during which residents were running for safety in different directions amid heavy gunshots, leading to death of at least eight persons, the gunmen returned on Monday and attacked Mgbuji and Eboh Villages where 12 people were felled down amid bullet rain.

  Many others were fatally wounded in the two invasions.

  A community leader from one of the villages, who identified himself as Samuel Ezeh, said the attacks were launched on the community by people suspected to be herdsmen rearing their livestock in Eha-Amufu.

  According to Eze, trouble began after a 60-year-old woman was raped to death in her farm by three herdsmen who came on two motorcycles and attacked her after she chased out a herd of cattle led by a ‘small’ boy seeking to graze on her farmland before the community marched to the police station to issue quit notice on herdsmen.

  “Our community is under a siege laid by Fulani herdsmen. Our offence is allowing them to live in our town and rear their animals.   Or why will a 60-year-old woman be raped to death in her farmland for preventing a small boy from grazing his cattle on her crops? And when we held peaceful protest to police station where we demanded that herdsmen should leave our community within one week they raided us twice in two days? Where are the security agencies or are they waiting until Fulani people wipe out EhaAmufu before they came to our rescue?” Ezeh said.

You May Also Like:-  'Green Independence Cleanup' holds in Awka

  Another resident in Eha-Amufu, Onyekachi Odo, also spoke in similar vein, calling on security agencies to protect the community from herdsmen.

  Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) of Enugu State Police Command, Daniel Ndukwe did not reply a text message sent to his telephone number to confirm the attacks.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *