FIREFIGHTERS in Anambra State have saved a two-storey building in Amikwo-Awka area of Awka metropolis from being razed down, after fire broke out in one of the apartments.
A resident of the neighbourhood, Tochukwu Ekeh, said the fire broke out from one of the apartments in the building after a surge occasioned by electricity sparked the fire.
Confirming the incident, Chief Firefighter in Anambra State Fire Service, Mr. Martin Agbili, said his men swung into action immediately they received a distress call.
“At about 10.40am of today (Sunday), being 30-01-2022, we received a distress call of a fire outbreak in a two-storey building at Amikwo-Awka. We immediately deployed our fire truck and firefighters to the fire scene. We were able to control and extinguish the fire. The fire affected only one of the rooms of the flat, where the fire emanated. The building was completely saved,” he said.
But Agbili also urged residents to always switch off their electrical and electronics appliances whenever they are not in use to avoid power surge.