Presidency says nobody can bring down Buhari’s govt

0
68

SMARTING from its recent truculent mood, Presidency today declared that nobody can bring down President Muhammadu Buhari’s regime.

  Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, sounded the warpath on television programme today’s morning.

  Shehu urged people with “strong ambitions” to wait for another two years to contest in the 2023 presidential election.

   He described secession agitators as “charlatans” sponsored to bully the President thinking he will cower or panic. He maintained that the Buhari regime will not be kicked out of power by any group through blackmail.

  According to him, Buhari regime was democratically elected and so power-grabbers should wait for two more years to take over power in 2023 through the ballot boxes.

  “I want to assure Nigerians that the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari is addressing multiple challenges that are facing the country especially in dealing with security and yet we are still making progress in agriculture, economy, anti-corruption, which are the key policies that brought the party and the government to office.

READ MORE:  Ezenwankwo hails Buhari on Presidential Economic Council

It is sad for the country that opposition is exploiting some of these things. It is quite unfortunate and I want to assure that the president remains focused in preserving the security and unity of this country. It is an established fact that all nations of the world face problems and what is expected of all well-meaning members of the society is that they should team up with the government so that together we will all fight criminality and insurgency and all that.

We accept that dissent is allowed, this is a democracy and people have a right to tell truth to government but we must be careful in doing that. Nobody can bring down the government because this is a government elected democratically.

READ MORE:  Tasks in S’East for on-coming FG ministers

Government in a democracy comes through periodic elections and if we have a government in office as we have, sponsored by political parties to win the elections, it is telling you that confidence of the public is still there. People with strong ambitions, wait till four years, in fact, in our case, two more years to go to election and President Buhari will not be a candidate in that election,” he said.

  But Spokesman for Northern Elders Forum (NEF), Hakeem Baba-Ahmed, who also spoke on the programme, however, said nobody was interested in bringing down the Buhari government.

  He chastised Presidency for labeling critics of the Buhari regime as enemies and accusing them of trying to bring down the government.

READ MORE:  Senate President must be Buhari's choice – Omo-Agege

Baba-Ahmed said Nigerians want to live in a safe and secure country and President Buhari must protect the lives and property of the citizens as well as listen to the grievances of secessionists.

  It will be recalled that Yoruba rights activist, Sunday Igboho, Chairman of Nigerian Indigenous Nationalities Alliance for Self-Determination, Prof Banji Akintoye, and other proponents of self-determination had last week declared their allegiance for the Yoruba Nation. Theirs came after similar declaration by a former militant in the Niger Delta region, Mujahid Asari-Dokubo.

  Their declarations followed what some called growing disaffection, dissatisfaction and insecurity in the country that led to support for Yoruba nation and Biafra republic.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here