Connect with us


Augsburg 0, Bayern Munich 1: Lewandowski on target again with a penalty



BAYERN Munich won their second game in four days as they hold on to a narrow one-goal lead away at Augsburg. The goal came through a well-taken penalty from Robert Lewandowski at the start of the first half. Augsburg themselves won a penalty in the second half, but they failed to convert it.

  Hansi Flick made only one change to the team that started in the win against Freiburg. Lucas Hernandez replaced Alphonso Davies in the left-back position. Serge Gnabry was fit to start after being substituted against Freiburg in the first half due to injury. The home side made two changes to the team that suffered defeat away at Werder Bremen last weekend. Iago came in for Mads Pederson, while Alfred Finnbogason made way for Marco Richter.

  Bayern Munich started the game on the front foot. Yes, it is not a drill. After five-six weeks of sluggish starts to the game, Die Roten showed urgency at the start of the game and sustained it for a long time. They were recycling the ball with more confidence and swagger.

  Hernandez made an immediate impact in the final third as he won the penalty in the 13th minute after nice linkup play with Gnabry on the left flank. Lewandowski made no mistake from the spot and calmly slotted the ball past the goalkeeper with ease.

  Die Roten continued to press for the second goal as they didn’t give Augsburg any respite after intense 15 minutes of play. Lewandowski had a couple of chances to add more goals to his tally, but strangely his finishing was poor on the day. Most importantly, Bayern were consistently creating chances and kept pushing Augsburg further in the box.

You May Also Like:-  Davis Cup: Djokovic, Nadal, Murray confirmed

  Gnabry came close to doubling the lead when his fine effort from the edge of the box was parried away by Rafal Gikiewicz. The German winger was lively on both flanks as he found Lewandowski with a deadly cross from the right flank few minutes later, only for the Polish striker to hit the post. Such was the dominance of Bayern in the first half that the hosts had zero shots by the time Matthias Joellenbeck whistled for the break.

  After an intense first half, there was a drop off in Die Roten’s performance during the second half. The German Champions found it difficult to find space behind Augsburg’s defense. The home side reverted to a deeper block, giving the visitors no breathing space in the final third.

  Augsburg grew into the game clock ticked on. They showed more bravery in the final third by creating half chances to worry Die Roten’s struggling defense. The persistence was rewarded when they won the penalty in the 76th minute when Benjamin Pavard handled the ball in the box. However, they failed to grab this golden opportunity as Alfred Finnbogason blasted his shot in the post.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *