RESIDENTS in Oshimili Street, Nkpor, Idemili North Local Government Area are ruing their losses as midnight fire razed down their building on Wednesday.
The incident which occurred around 1:00am reduced the bungalow to rubbles despite efforts of neighbours within the area to put out the fire.
Eye witness who spoke under anonymity to National Light said the inferno was caused by surge in electricity current when occupants of the building had gone to their various homes.
“The fire started in one of the shops in the building as a result of fault in the electrical system. It was unfortunate as it could not be detected early due to the fact that people have gone to bed and sleeping soundly.”
She noted that before the fire was noticed and alarm raised, it had already gone too high to be controlled.
She however, commended the efforts of neighbours who ensured the inferno did not spread to neighbouring buildings clustered in the area.
National Light gathered that the building, located along Old Enugu-Onitsha Road by Oshimili Street, has many business occupants.
Credible report says, though there was no loss of life, property worth millions went into flames in the incident.
“The occupants of the building are mainly traders and the unfortunate incident is a big setback to them. There are big chemist store, electrical appliances shop, tailoring shop and some others with well stocked items. Now, they have lost everything. It is very sad, especially, as it happened when the people were managing to put their businesses back on track after coronavirus lockdown and #EnsSARS protest disruptions.” David Ikeh lamented while speaking to National Light on the incident.
Report says the state Fire Service was called and they sent their fire fighters to the scene but before their arrival, the damage has been done, leaving nothing more to rescue.
It was further reported that efforts of neighbors helped cut off the fire from spreading into other surrounding buildings in the area.