Lekki shooting: Against social media rumours, we’ve found no fatality – Sanwo-Olu

0
153

LAGOS State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, said no death was recorded in Tuesday night attack in the Lekki Toll Gate area of Lagos State.

  The governor made this known in a live broadcast yesterday, saying two critically wounded victims had been operated on and were in stable condition while others with “mild to moderate” cases are still receiving treatments at various hospitals in the area.

  But Sanwo-Olu admitted that soldiers opened fire on #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate area last night in a bid to disperse them, adding that he was engaging the leadership of  Nigerian Army on the development.

  According to him, the control of military forces was not under his purview.

  “For clarity, it is imperative to explain that no sitting governor controls the rules of engagement of the military. I have, nonetheless, ordered an investigation into the rules of engagement adopted by men of the Nigerian Army that were deployed to the Lekki Toll Gate last night.

This is with a view to take this up with higher commands of the Nigerian Army and to seek the intervention of Mr President in his capacity as the Commander-In-Chief to unravel the sequence of events that happened yesterday (Tuesday) night. “Fellow Lagosians, whilst we pray for the swift recovery of the injured, we have not recorded any fatality as against the widespread circulation on social media.

READ MORE:  Sanwo-Olu visits vandalised police stations, burnt police stations, others

Myself and the leadership of the Ministry of Health have been going round. Indeed, we went round the hospitals last night. We went round mortuaries last night to see and to monitor for ourselves what has happened and to look and identify the injured protesters.

We personally visited the hospitals that took in these patients. 10 patients at the General Hospital in Lagos, 11 patients were at the two locations of the Reddington Hospitals both in Lekki and Victoria Island,” he said, adding other sets were at various hospitals in the Lekki area.

I want to expressly say that over the night, two of them had to go through surgery and I am happy to say that they are all stable and they are recovering very well. Quite a number of others are just mild to moderate states. Indeed, three of them had been discharged this morning and I am told that additional three to four will be discharged anytime from now,” Sanwo-Olu said.

READ MORE:  ‘Mummy calm down’ boy finally meets with Lagos state governor. (video)

  In similar vein, Nigerian Army headquarters has denied deploying soldiers to the Lekki Toll Gate despite video evidence showing uniformed soldiers shooting at the scene.

  The army in a Facebook post branded several reports linking soldiers at the tollgate as fake news, stating, “No soldiers were at the scene.”

  Also, President Muhammadu Buhari has commended Anambra and other 12 States that set up Judicial Panels of Inquiry to investigate cases of police brutality and bring justice for victims across the country.

  The president made this known in a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, in Abuja yesterday.

  He said the establishment of the panel was in line with the resolution of the National Economic Council (NEC).

  Meanwhile, radical Catholic priest and Chaplain of Adoration Ministry, Enugu, Rev. Fr. Ejike Mbaka has backed #EndSARS protests across the country.

  But he absolved President Muhammadu Buhari of any blame, insisting that the problem of Nigeria and youth negligence started from past administrations.

READ MORE:  Gov Sanwo-Olu vows to scale-up COVID-19 fight after Sen Osinowo's death

Mbaka expressed his views while addressing his congregants in a video, noting that he has been calling on the Nigerian youth to rise up and challenge the bad system.

  “Many people are asking why Father Mbaka is silent in the midst of this #EndSARS [protests]? Do you know when I started crying that our youths should rise up? Is not yet time to speak, but if you people enjoy the situation you are in right now, then let it be? All I’m trying to say is that the condition of our youths in this country is unbearable.

The conditions are intolerable. Not just in this Buhari administration but past administrations. A country where a sitting Senator will be sweeping millions upon millions every month.

It has been like this, not Buhari. No plans for our children…are there any money allocated to any Christian governor that Buhari seized? The system is evil. The youths should rise up the more if not, you will talk and talk, age and die away. I’m ashamed of our leaders,” he said.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here