… Ooni calls for calm
SIX suspects arrested in connection with the crisis that visited the protest against police brutality at Ogbomoso recently have been freed by the court as prayed by Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde.
The suspects include Olaoluwa Busayo, Olagoke David, Olusola Matthew, Amole Adebayo, Adedokun Segun and Ganiyu Saheed.
The protest against the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) had led to vandalisation of the palace of Soun of Ogbomoso, Oba Oladunni Oyewumi Ajagungbade on Sunday, 10th of October, 2020, while the six suspects were apprehended by the police as being part of those responsible for the attack on the palace.
A statement issued by the state Ministry of Justice, titled ‘Re-unconditional Release of the 6 Suspects Arrested In Ogbomoso in Connection with Ongoing National Protest’ and signed by the Director Public Prosecution, Mr Nathaniel Okeniyi on Tuesday, and made available to the press said, upon the visit of the state governor to Ogbomoso, immediately after the incident after which the governor visited the palace and later addressed protesters, he promised to set the arrested individuals free as demanded by the protesters.
“Sequel to the promise of His Excellency, Governor Seyi Makinde at Ogbomoso to effect the release of the suspects arrested in connection with the protest, of Monday 19th October, 2020, the Chief Magistrate Court 2, Iyaganku Ibadan, on application of Attorney General has discharged and withdrawn the charge filed against the suspects forthwith.”
Recall that Governor Seyi Makinde gave his support to peaceful protest which he said was borne out of high level of youths’ unemployment and poverty in the land, he called on the police to take the back seat in the protest while the men of ‘Operation Burst’ should give the protesters adequate protection and avert its being hijacked by hoodlums.
In a related development, the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi has appealed to the youths calling for the cancellation of the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad of the Nigeria Police to retreat.
The monarch made the call while playing host to former Nigerian President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo in his Ile Oodua palace in Ile Ife.
Ooni Ogunwusi, who described the #EndSARS struggle as Nigerian youths’ clear message to the government, particularly about their ability to get things done in a coordinated manner, urged the youths to allow the government to fully attend to their grievances.
He said the #EndSARS protest had shown that the youths have what is required to rule the country, as they had shown leadership, accountability and huge sense of responsibility which is a clear message to the government.
On the attack on Governor Gboyega Oyetola’s convoy by some suspected political thugs at the venue of an #EndSARS protest in Osogbo, the Ooni, who is the permanent chairman of the Osun State Council of Traditional Rulers, described the incidence as unfortunate and commended the maturity of the governor in responding to the crisis.
Earlier in his speech, former President Obasanjo explained that the #EndSARS protest was a product of an extensive agitation of the Nigerian youths that needed to be attended to by the government.
Chief Obasanjo pointed out that over 65 per cent of the nation’s population were under the age of 35, looking up to the best in life, struggling for education, some of whoM did not even get educated while those who were educated get frustrated because of lack of opportunities.
He noted that there were windows of opportunity which the government could explore to show that it cared about the people, especially the youth.