Hong Kong postpones elections over ‘coronavirus concerns’

0
296

AMID the rise in coronavirus infections in Hong Kong, leader Carrie Lam has announced postponement of the September’s parliamentary elections by a year.

Hong Kong is currently experiencing a spike in Covid-19 infections with a reported 121 new cases.

However, the opposition has accused the government of using the pandemic as a pretext to stop people from voting.

On Thursday, the government banned 12 pro-democracy candidates from running in the elections.

Opposition activists had hoped to obtain a majority in the Legislative Council in September’s poll, capitalising on anger at Beijing’s imposition of a controversial national security law in Hong Kong, and fears that the territory’s freedoms are being eroded.

READ MORE:  In COVID-19, lessons for future social protection

Pro-democracy candidates had made unprecedented gains in last year’s district council elections, winning 17 out of 18 councils.

Chief Executive Carrie Lam said she would invoke emergency powers to postpone the elections, calling it the “most difficult decision I’ve made over the past seven months”. “This postponement is entirely made based on public safety reasons, there were no political considerations,” she said.

The overall numbers are still lower than those of many other places – but the spike comes after Hong Kong appeared to have contained the outbreak, with weeks of few or no local infections.

Now, it’s experiencing what’s been described as a “third wave” of infections, and Ms Lam said the city was on the verge of a “large-scale outbreak”, which could cause hospitals to “collapse”.

READ MORE:  COVID-19: Oyo subjects vaccines to sterility test

Health experts have told reporters that with the reintroduction of social distancing measures, the rate of infection appears to have slowed, and they hope Hong Kong will be back to close to zero local infections within four to six weeks.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here