… Kenya, Ghana, others shut down schools
…. Anambra takes campaign to market
… Enugu douses tension
ALL is set for travelers arriving from countries with high cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic to undergo secondary screening at Nigeria’s international airports.
Minister of State for Health, Dr. Olurunimbe Mamaora, gave the indication yesterday, while announcing that three new countries have been added to its existing list of five high-risk countries with widespread community transmission of the dreaded disease.
The new additional countries are France, Spain and Germany. They were added to China, Japan, Iran, Italy and the Republic of Korea in the worse-hit list of nations nearing total lockdown.
Addressing newsmen in Abuja, yesterday, Mamora explained that travelers from the eight countries would face minor inconveniences at points of entry, particularly airports.
This, he said, was because they would be forced to undergo compulsory secondary screening at the point of entry, in addition to strong advice for self-isolation for 14 days on entry.
According to him, 48 people who met the case definition have been screened for COVID-19 in eight states of Edo, Lagos, Ogun, FCT, Yobe, Rivers, Kano and Enugu between March 7 and 15.
Stating that there is no death so far, while 47 tested negative and have been cleared with one positive in what has come to be known as a contact of the index case, the minister equally disclosed that one result is pending.
But schools in Kenya, Ghana and South Africa have been closed down indefinitely as Coronavirus lockdowns increase worldwide.
Kenyan President, Uhuru Kenyatta, announced the indefinite suspension of learning at all levels of the country’s educational institutions to join a growing list of countries shutting down public spaces in an attempt to contain the spread of Coronavirus.
According to him, businesses and government offices will soon close all non-essential services to avoid a national lockdown.
“We have suspended learning in all our education institutions with immediate effect. Consequently, and to facilitate a phased approach, primary and secondary day schools are to suspend operations from tomorrow,” the Kenyan President said at a press conference,” Kenyatta stated.
But Anambra State Ministry of Information and Public Enlightenment is continuing its public enlightenment campaigns at public places as part of measures to tackle Coronavirus and Lassa fever pandemic.
The train made a stop at New Tyre Market, Nkpor in Idemili Local Government Area.
Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, C. Don Adinuba, led the sensitisation campaign team which afforded the traders with more safety and preventive tips.
“We are partnering with development partners to strengthen proactive measures against the two viruses in the state. As such, we are here to sensitise traders and tyre-vendors on precautionary measures in order to avoid the risk of the diseases in the state,” he said.
Meanwhile, Enugu State Ministry of Health has said that the suspected case of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the state has tested negative.
A specimen was taken for investigation at Irua Specialist Hospital, Edo State.
A statement from Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health, Dr Ifeanyi Agujiobi, also said that the result was further corroborated by the Nigerian
Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) as negative.
Urging the general public to go about their normal business but also to remain alert and vigilant observing basic personal health hygiene, in a bid to dispel the confusion that gripped residents of Enugu over the weekend when a 70-year-old woman from Owerri, Imo State was allegedly returned back to the state after staying in the United Kingdom for about five months for presenting symptoms of the infection, the ministry promised that government is ready to tackle any emergency.
Similarly, the management of Federal Polytechnic, Oko, in Orumba North Local Government Area of Anambra State, yesterday, debunked rumours making the rounds that a student of the institution was diagnosed with Covid-19 at the school medical centre.
According to Public Relations Officer of Oko Poly, Obini Onuchukwu, the rumour is not only false but also mischievous.
However, federal government, yesterday, declared that unfolding events of the past few months such as the coronavirus pandemic and the oil price war have further reinforced its resolve to diversify the national economy.
Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Zainab Shamsuna Ahmed, gave the indication while observing that one of the ways of doing so is to develop a vibrant commodities trading ecosystem.
Ahmed spoke in Abuja at the opening of a two-day International Conference on the Nigerian Commodities Market (ICNM 2020), organised by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).